Tuesday 25 November 2008

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman


I caught sight of this book on my shelf the other day and I thought, “It's about time I read that, it must be nearly a year since AB lent it to me”. Then I thought about it some more and realised it must be closer to 3 years. Sorry!

For anyone not familiar with Neil Gaiman, he is probably best know for the Sandman Graphic novels, but has also written novels, short stories, the TV series “Neverwhere” and the film “Mirrormask”. His work is strange, funny and can be even scarier than Richard Madely. I love his prose, but I apply The Tolkein Rules which mean I don't have to read the poetry.

On the whole, I thought this was a stronger collection than “Smoke and Mirrors”. My favourite story was “October in the Chair” because it is written in the style of Ray Bradbury whose work I also love. The story that gave me nightmares was “Feeders and Eaters”, so I suppose that makes it something of a favourite too. For anyone who enjoyed “American Gods”, there's a short story about Shadow at the end.

New rule: You are allowed to fancy Neil Gaiman even if you're married because... well... he's Neil Gaiman

No comments: