Sunday 16 March 2008

Dawn of the Dumb - Charlie Brooker



I love Charlie Brooker. Love him for his demented rants born from having any kind of conscience in the modern world, love him for his balls-out rudeness about minor celebrities and reality TV idiots (all of whom are asking for it, in my opinion). Yes, I think I have a bit of a crush on him, despite the fact that I've a shrew notion he'd be whiny and high-maintenance in person. Anyway, you don't want to hear me say it's funny, you want a look at the funniness itself:


  • “My least favourite Hazel McWitch lookalike” = Gillian McKeith
  • “If a penis could chose its own wardrobe and hair stylist, chances are it'd end up looking like Duane “Dog” Chapman star of Dog the Bountyhunter.” I especially liked the bit about how Duane's hairstyle looks “like the entire cast of The Lost Boys crossed with a gay lion”.
  • “Slough looks like it was never actually built, merely crapped into position by a misanthropic, mediocre God.”
  • Deborah Meaden of Dragon's Den, “could chew the tin balls off a Cyberman”
  • A BB contestant is described in the following terms, “With a face like a perineum with tiny dots drawn on it for eyes, he was the human equivalent of a cock- shaped novelty pen with ego problems”


So the Brooker book (which the whole English-speaking world except for me got for Christmas) is pretty funny. It's also ecologically sound, being constructed entirely from recycled Guardian columns.


One thing which strikes me as bit unfair about Brooker, though is this: He's funny, but is he actually funnier or cleverer than the people you know in real life? I'm not sure he is. CB's humour reminds me strongly of my friend TLO - I suspect that the only reason Charlie has a newspaper column and a TV show and TLO doesn't, is that TLO is actually better equipped for real-life and therefore able to hold don a 9-5 job.

No comments: