Tuesday 11 September 2007

Holiday Reading Results

Well, true to my predictions, “Arthur and George” was all but reduced to papier mache after being in my rucksack the day my platypus leaked. I’ve read that and Isca, but Justina Robson didn’t even get a look in. She’ll have to go back on the shelf for another day…

I have some notes on books I did manage to read, so I should be able to come up with a post for each of them. In the mean time, I am back to re-reading The Sandman comics and thoroughly enjoying them. I know I am enjoying them as I’ve read 3 already and the only thing I can find to complain at is that the text says that Matthew is a raven, but he is clearly drawn as a crow. For that matter so are Odin’s ravens.

For the edification of the nation, here is my idiot’s guide to corvids:


Jackdaws: Relatively small and usually come in large packs. Make a really weird noise.





Rooks: Medium sized. Black with a pointy white beak. Say “Ark!”. Usually seen in large packs.






Crows: Almost identical to the Rook, but has a black beak and is usually seen in ones and twos. I like crows. They pair for life, you know. Like gothic, carrion-eating swans....





Ravens: Bloody enormous. Beak is hooked, not pointy. Say “Gronk!” not “Ark!”. Live on cliffs and crags so usually seen in mountainous areas rather than farmers’ fields. Like flying upside down to impress the lady ravens.

No comments: